WestJet company insists that its holiday stunt that is going viral this week was not actually intended to be a commercial in disguise. In the video, which surpassed 15 million views on Thursday, November 12, 2013, the airline hatches an elaborate holiday surprise for more than 250 travelers heading to Calgary on flights from Toronto and Hamilton.
WestJet customers are seen stumbling upon a video kiosk that connects them with a blue-suited Santa Claus, who asks what they would like for Christmas once they scanned their boarding passes. A family asks for a big TV, a boy wants an Android tablet, and one man asks for socks and underwear — which he will come to regret. WestJet staff then scramble to buy the gifts to fill those requests in Calgary shopping centers – like Cross Iron Mills which is featured in the video, which are wrapped and delivered via a luggage carousel in Calgary.
The video was presented to McNally High School students by some teachers this week and it really made the students, who have seen the video, felt mix emotions – more of like a happy and sad emotion. Whatever the purpose of the company by making this video, it does not really matter, as long as they are spreading love and happiness.
Just a tip for everyone, if they ask you what you want, tell them the thing that you really want for Christmas this year because who knows if that person asking you is a WestJet staff.
Have you seen the WestJet Christmas video yet? If not you might want to watch it. Click the link below and enjoy.
- WestJet Christmas Miracle (neatorama.com)
- Brilliant! Way to Go WestJet (whitneypower.wordpress.com)
- VIDEO: Ad or not, WestJet viral video a branding win: marketing experts (canadianbusiness.com)
- WestJet’s viral video is a Christmas gem that keeps on giving (to the airline) (theprovince.com)
- WestJet Christmas Surprise Will Make You Believe in Santa (mashable.com)
- Must-Cry VIDEO? Watch WestJet Airline’s ‘Christmas Miracle’ (npr.org)
- WestJet viral video continues to soar (metronews.ca)
- WestJet Christmas Miracle #dsmmcm1314 (dsmmcm1314.wordpress.com)
- Ho ho ho! Christmas comes early for passengers in WestJet’s “miracle” (with video) (vancouversun.com)
- WestJet surprises weary travellers in ‘Christmas miracle’ video (ctvnews.ca)